- I am a licensed psychologist. I have a Ph.D. in clinical psychology from the University of Alabama, and I completed a clinical internship and post-doctoral fellowship at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center.
- I am a broadly-trained therapist who can provide assistance with a variety of individual and/or relationship concerns.
- I am a former Associate Professor and Chair of the Department of Psychology at Texas Wesleyan University. I opened a clinical practice after a career in higher education because I wanted to serve people in a different way than I’d been able to as an instructor. That said, I still love being in the classroom and will teach an occasional class. I have a special place in my heart for the undergraduate student, as I’ve seen their struggles up close.
- I’ve completed a certificate program in Sexual Health through the School of Social Work at the University of Michigan, which means that I have completed advanced coursework and training in the area of human sexuality. I am currently completing the required supervised clinical hours for certification as a sex therapist by the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists.
- Individual Therapy
- Relationship Therapy
- Peer Consultation with Mental Health Professionals for cases that involve sexuality/sexual functioning and/or gender
- In-service presentations, workshops, and guest speaking for professional and community groups. Topics include but are not limited to the following:
- Introduction to Gender and Gender Diversity
- Working with Clients in Nontraditional Relationships
- Talking with Your Clients About “The S-Word”
- Sexual Health/Sexual Functioning (various topics)
- Body Image and the Impact of Media
- Bereavement and Loss
- Creating an atmosphere of safety and trust is important to me. I know that clients are trusting me with some of their most private and intimate information, and I consider that an honor.
- I am comfortable dealing with a wide variety of people, and I strive to cultivate a nonjudgmental mindset with regard to gender, sexual orientation, relationship style, ethnicity, and religion.
- I will work to understand you, your needs, and your way of viewing the world.
- I try to balance being professional with being authentic.
- You’re likely to see me “think out loud” at times.
- I try to be practical and flexible. I draw from a variety of theoretical approaches and am not bound by any one view.
- I consider myself a lifelong learner. I am constantly looking for opportunities to learn new things and improve my services.
- In my off time, I like to laugh and tend not to take myself too seriously. However, I do take YOU and your concerns seriously!